Lawyers for Frack Free Balcombe Residents Association take West Sussex County Council to High Court for Granting Cuadrilla Permission to Frac Despite Overwhelming Community Opposition

Balcombe anti-fracking group take protest to High Court by BBC News Sussex, June 13, 2014
Lawyers for the Frack Free Balcombe Residents Association (FFBRA) claim West Sussex County Council’s decision to allow energy company Cuadrilla to carry out further tests is unlawful. Permission was granted following test-drilling by the company last summer.

Both the council and Cuadrilla have not commented. West Sussex County Council granted permission for the new tests in May. In the claim issued at the High Court, Leigh Day, the law firm representing the FFBRA, claim the council were “simply wrong in law” to ignore the number of objections made against the application.

‘Overwhelming opposition’
The application received 889 objections and nine communications in support. Ugo Hayter, of Leigh Day, said the decision “flies in the face of overwhelming community opposition” from people who were “concerned that this operation risks polluting the aquifer and nearby reservoir”.

The firm have also accused Cuadrilla of not complying with agreed conditions during previous operations and repeatedly providing “unsatisfactory communications” with residents. They highlighted a request made to Cuadrilla for a timetable of the development which the energy company had failed to give. A Cuadrilla spokesperson has previously said the testing would last seven days but it was “unlikely” the work would be carried out this year. The energy company have also said it would not carry out hydraulic fracturing at the site because the rock is naturally fractured.

It insists the new tests involve using solutions that are considered non-hazardous to groundwater.

Protesters from around the country gathered at the site last summer amid fears that test-drilling would lead to fracking. [Emphasis added]

[Refer also to:

Fracking firm was barred from using chemical, Balcombe meeting told, Environment Agency blocked use of antimony trioxide but allowed use of oxirane despite protesters’ concerns

High Court Judge in London UK rules Council eviction case flawed, Council aiming to remove fracking protest camp in Balcombe, serves legal notice on Friday for court appearance on Monday

Balcombe Battle 2013

Secret emails reveal the risk to water in Sussex from fracking was known, Ministers privately briefed on the known risks

Fracking firm Cuadrilla trespassed on private land for geological surveys, Firm has had to pay out to at least one Lancashire homeowner and was warned by ministers

Fracking London Stockbroker-Belt Looms as U.K. Hunts to Frac for Oil

Cuadrilla Drilling set back at Balcombe, UK Environment Energy regulator caught not regulating

Villagers unite to battle plans for ‘disgusting’ fracking probe

Fracking firm to start drilling for oil near Balcombe viaduct, Residents fear threat to drinking water supplies as Cuadrilla unveils 3,000ft exploratory oil drill ]

This entry was posted in Global Frac News, Other Lawsuits. Bookmark the permalink.