Silent killer: Health Canada urges testing homes for cancer-causing radon by The Canadian Press, November 1, 2012, Calgary Herald
Health Canada is urging Canadians to test their homes for radon, a leading cause of lung cancer. After smoking, exposure to radon is the second leading cause of the often deadly disease. Radon is a radioactive gas that occurs naturally in the ground and can leak into homes through foundation cracks or gaps around pipes.
It cannot be seen, smelled or tasted, but there are inexpensive and easy tests sold by most hardware stores that can measure radon levels.
Health Canada suggests testing for a minimum of three months starting in the fall, when windows and doors of a home are typically closed.
It is estimated that 16 per cent of lung cancer deaths in Canada are caused by indoor radon exposure.
[Refer also to: Fracking, Has the USGS Been Co-opted?
MEDICAL-ENVIRONMENTAL REPORT: A Review of the Potential Health Effects of the Proposed Sable Gas Pipeline Project from the perspective of Environmentally Induced Illness/Chemical Sensitivity, Asthma and Allergy ]